Nigerian Army to recruit Edo citizens
Edo citizens who meet the specified criteria for army recruitment have been called upon to avail themselves of the opportunity to be recruited into the Nigerian Army following the commencement of recruitment into the Nigeria Army (NA) 76 Regular Recruits Intake from November 21st, 2016 to 1st January, 2017.
In a letter addressed to Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki and signed by Major General AB Abubakar on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai, the Chief of Army Staff says, “I am directed to inform you that registration for recruitment into the Nigerian Army (NA) 76 Regular Recruits Intake has commenced since 21 November 2016 and will end on 1 January, 2017.
The recruitment forms can be accessed online by interested candidates nationwide on www.narecruitment.org of NA recruitment portal. “The registration will be followed by the conduct of a Pre-screening Examination on 7 January, 2017 at the centres of the candidates’ choice throughout the Federation. The recruitment exercise is based on the criteria contained in the Harmonized Terms and Conditions of Service Soldiers 2012 (Revised).”
According to the Chief of Army Staff, some of the criteria include but not limited to the following:
- Reflection of Local Government Area representation of the State.
- Candidates must be physically and medically fit. Successful candidates from the Pre-screening Examination will undergo both physical and medical examinations before the final selection.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 18 – 22 years and 18 – 26 years for non-tradesmen/women and tradesmen/women respectively by 1 September 2016.
- Minimum educational qualification of WASC/GCE O Level/NECO/NATEB with at least 4 credits including English Language. WASC/GCE/NECO obtained before 2010 will not be accepted. In the same vein, NATEB and other trade certificates obtained before 2009 will also be considered invalid.
- Candidates applying as tradesmen/women are in addition to the above qualifications required to possess OND/Trade Test/City and Guild Certificate.”
The Chief of Army Staff specified the date for the screening exercise. He said, “Successful candidates from the Pre-screening Examination will be invited for the Zonal Screening Exercise tentatively scheduled for 22 January – 3 February, 2017 at centres designated for each state and FCTC.
Two zonal recruitment centres have been selected for each Geo-Political Zone. Port Harcourt and Benin are the two centres for the South South Zone. Thus, shortlisted candidates from Edo State are to report to Headquarters, 4 Brigade, Benin for screening as contained in the attached programme.”
The statement further said a state Liaison Officer would be available to represent each state at the recruitment centres and assist the screening team and guide the indigenes of their states.
“The Liaison Officer would be responsible for coordinating the representatives of each Local Government Area in the State and confirming to the screening team the indigeneship of the candidates from Edo State.
This is to ensure strict adherence to the principle of federal character representation in the Nigerian Army recruitment exercise by ensuring that only indigenes of Edo State are recruited under the State.
The duties of the Liaison Officer would include making adequate administrative and logistics arrangement for the movement of selected Edo State candidates to Zaria.”
The tentative programme of events for 76 Regular Recruits Intake Recruitment Exercise also indicates that the Pre-screening Examination is scheduled to take place on 7 January, 2017 at Army Children School, Isihor Barracks, NASST Benin (Edo 1) and HQ NASEME Nichoho Barracks, Auchi (Edo 2), while Recruits Training will commence on 12 February, 2017 at Depot Nigeria Army.