“To help build a Edo Society that guarantees equal access to social, economic and wealth creation opportunities to all, irrespective of gender, places
premium on protection of the child, the aged and persons with disabilities; focuses attention of key operators in both private and public sectors on mainstreaming the concerns of these groups of people in national development process”.
“To serve as the national vehicle to bring about speedy and healthy development of Edo Women, Children, the socially disadvantaged and physically challenged, and the main-streaming of their rights and privileges in national development process”.
THE MINISTRY’S MANDATE
“The broad mandate of the Ministry is to advise government on gender and Children issues. Issues affecting Persons with Disabilities and the Aged; initiate policy guidelines and lead the process of gender equality and mainstreaming at both the national and international levels”.
FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTRY
The basic functions of the Ministry of Women Affairs are as follows:
- Promoting the general welfare of Women and enhancing their ability to realize their full potentials in various fields of human endeavours.
- Providing an enabling environment that will ensure the maximum and holistic development of the potentials of the Nigerian child towards national development and nation building.
- Promoting a multi-sectoral programme synergy for the realization and enhancement of the survival, development, protection and participation rights of children in Nigeria with particular reference to the achievement of set targets enumerated in the Child’s Right Act 2003 (CRA), the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy. NEEDS (2004) and Millennium Development Goals MDGs.
- Embarking on awareness creation and formulation of policies and legislation on survival, development, protection and participatory rights of Women and Children in Edo..
- Promoting responsible motherhood and maternal health as well as protecting the rights of Women.
- Taking steps that support the elimination of all social culture practices that discriminates against or are detrimental to the overall development of Women and girls.
- Ensuring the integration of Women in national processes and promoting the mainstreaming of gender on all issues of national importance.
- Supporting the work of relevant non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and civil society organizations (CSOs) working for the realization of Women and Children’s right.
- Advocating for the passage and enforcement of laws that protect and project the interest of the Ministry’s target groups particularly the Child’s Rights Act 2003.
- Central planning of activities of the Ministry such as production of Annual Reports, Ministerial Press Briefings, National Council on Women Affairs Meeting, Tenders Secretariat and HIV/AIDS programmes.
- Co-ordinating and preparation of the Ministry’s National Plan Medium Term plan and Perspective plan in collaboration with other Department in the Ministry.
- Collection, collation, analysis, storage and dissemination of data research.
- Formulates and updates various policies and implementation of strategies for the development of various categories of Person with Disabilities (PWDs).
- Subvention to recognized Rehabilitation Centre and Non-Government Organization (NGOs).
- Coordination of Inter-Governmental and Inter-State social welfare activities
- Rehabilitation of alcoholics, drug addicts, cult members and school drop outs etc.
- Care for the Elderly
- Training of professional social workers and the organization and coordination of training facilities for government and non-governmental social welfare agencies.